Tuesday, December 2, 2008

ttyl

So, since we're on the subject of linguistics, how about texting? I know I hated it to begin with; why do all that stupid typing on the tiny keypad when you could just call? Now I have to have unlimited texting on my phone plan. I love the way you can communicate the essence of your point so quickly, without small talk.

This article and interview are with author David Crystal about his new book, the Gr8 Db8, about the linguistics of texting. Similarly to the misconceptions and fear Tapscott cites coming from the non-digital generations, Crystal quotes apocalyptic warnings about the coming demise of the English language. He basically ends up saying that it's not that big of a deal, and that this adds a new dimension to our methods of communication, but won't encroach into the primary uses of the English language.

This story is from September; I actually heard it on the way to our first tech class. It's just interviews with high school students in Chicago about texting.

No comments: